Friday, September 17, 2010

Polish Keilbasa and Apple Pie! (part1)

Pre-kids (around four years ago), when I needed to clear my mind and just relax, I would sit on the sofa and read a book, go to my back deck and listen to the birds, put on some music etc.  Fast forward four years later, and I usually find myself hanging out in the kitchen pantry, bedroom closet or bathroom…. or on a rare occasion I feed my family, kiss them all, and take a walk.....sometimes a short drive if I need to REALLY not feel the pull of people around me.  On one of those rare solo drives, [I try not to drive excessively, but I also lost some green in me when I lost control of my life to others] I came upon this interesting looking building that just felt inviting.  As I drove up I noticed the sign:

 POLISH PEROGI 
  YOU CAN’T  LOVE’M
  UNLESS YOU TRY’EM 

 I started to park with a little excitement brewing…..then looked and saw the open sign off.  I parked anyway and intended to walk to the door to peek in and catch their hours.  As I walked up the door opened and a very warm smiling woman motioned me to come in.  I explained I was just looking at the hours I did not want to disrupt her close and she insisted I step inside.  As soon as I stepped inside with that warm fuzzy feeling you get when someone has been kind to you for no reason, I smelled the fresh spicy smell of I don’t know, but man it smelled really wonderful!  Now that I was inside with only my keys because I was not prepared to go in, I felt awkward because now I am just in the position to browse in this nice woman’s closed store.  But before I could linger on the anxiety creeping up…a gentleman greeted me with a warm hello.  I respond back with “wow it smells good!”  and before I know it, the man is walking up to me with a sample of what looks like some kind of pepperoni. In a flash  it was in my mouth with an explosion of flavor.  Now this is why I love Durham and the people that decide to open businesses here!  In talking with the nice couple and in between the man giving me chocolates…again yum!  I found out that the nice couple is Ziggy and Halina and they moved here from New Jersey to have a small business and retire in NC. They opened their deli Halgo European Deli and Groceries 3 years ago in November.  I also found out that the flavorful mystery meat was Kielbasa.  When I asked them “why South Durham?”  they said they found the place and it felt right.  Interestingly enough when they took over the building, it was a florist and for at least a year they actually kept a small part of the shop as the florist.  Now it is completely dedicated to the deli /grocery. They sell sliced meats, cheeses, sandwiches with bread from Guglhupf, chocolates, baked goodies from Halina, and made from scratch polish apple pie on Fridays!  I felt like I had stayed just enough time to not wear out a gracious welcome, and promised to return the next day for lunch and a slice of that apple pie.  I am not a huge fan of apple pie, but there was nothing I wanted more at that moment than to try a piece of that made from scratch polish apple pie…..c’mon Friday!  Is 10:30 to early to eat lunch?


View from front


Inside

No comments:

Post a Comment