Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Local Yogurt Mystery (pt.1)

A couple of years ago one of my regular customers at the coffeeshop told me she was opening a new business.  Always excited when someones decides to go out on a limb with a new venture I inquired about said business.  It is going to be a frozen yogurt store, but with real yogurt...plain yogurt...just frozen.  The concept seemed great to me because I love yogurt and I like ice cream, but ice cream is a little heavy for me...and other frozen yogurts seem too sweet, like the sweetness is ever going to make up for the no fat!  So this seemed perfect....a nice thick product, but just sweet enough and still low-fat.  The next time I talked to my customer, she said her and her two partners decided on "Local Yogurt".  I immediately say "Cool!  Are you getting the local yogurt from Maple View Farm?"  The answer was no, the actual yogurt isn't local, but some toppings are.....hmm...now I am somewhat skeptical about this name.  The next time sweet customer comes in, she brings a flyer to hang in the coffeeshop for their Grand Opening.  I can't tell you how many people asked where locally they were getting their yogurt from......uh oh.  Now I really worried about the name.  And when I would explain to people the actual yogurt wasn't local, I got quite a few snarky remarks.  After a few days of explaining, I came up with my own response when asked about the yogurt being local and it went something like this:

"Well they actually do not get the yogurt local, but most of the toppings are local.  What I really think the name is trying to convey is the fact that they are a local business." 


I have no idea if this info was necessarily correct, but I got way less snarky responses. And since I was not the official spokesperson for this business, I felt ok about throwing it out there to get the heat off of me since HELLO...I was spending a lot of freaking time more time than I would have liked on defending a name of a business I have no part of.

And honestly..I was still excited about this concept...locally acquired  yogurt or not!

So as I was anticipating this opening....I was also just living my life when one night I am flipping the TV and I see some crazy show about should we get married or just break up.  Side note: If that is even a question on the table, you might want to re-evaluate....just saying.  So I am watching this show.."Hitched or Ditched" and OMG!!???  there is my CUSTOMER...YES...Local Yogurt owning customer!!  Let me be VERY clear...she WAS NOT a person getting hitched or ditched, but a wedding planner on the show.  What the what?  I was very confused now...but let me say although the show was just plain awful, my customer looked beautiful and professional and was a GREAT wedding planner it seemed on TV....I just was confused as to why she was on TV and why didn't she mention it in our many many conversations...this mystery I had to solve! And let's not get sidetracked...I had to try that yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment